Posted on: 25 May 2015
When you have a septic tank that continuously backs up, you may wonder if there is anything you can do to help prevent it from happening. If so, use the following monthly, homemade treatment to keep your system working properly.
What You Will Need
Before you begin, gather the following supplies. The ingredients can be found in grocery stores.
- Medium-sized pan
- Four cups of water
- Two cups of brown sugar
- Three packets of dry active yeast
- One cup of cornmeal
The yeast in this cleaner provides enzymes that break down the top greasy layer of your septic tank's contents. This layer blocks nutrients and air needed for the healthy growth of the bacteria that break down the system's waste materials.
The brown sugar quickly activates and feeds the yeast so it can start its job. The cornmeal then provides a longer food source to keep the yeast growing and working longer.
Now that you have what you need, follow the directions below to make and use your septic tank treatment.
- Bring the water to a boil in the saucepan.
- Add the brown sugar and stir until it has completely dissolved.
- Remove the pan from heat and let it sit for about 10 minutes to cool the water slightly.
- Slowly pour the yeast into the sugar water and let it sit for five minutes to give it time to activate.
- Stir in the cornmeal.
- If you have a toilet bowl cake or tank cleaner attached, remove it.
- Flush your toilet a couple of times to make sure no cleaning chemicals remain in the bowl. Any remaining chemicals could kill some of the yeast, making the treatment less effective. If you had a cleaner attached in the tank, flush your toilet twice more to ensure the cleaner is removed from the tank water.
- Pour the treatment into the toilet bowl while it is still lukewarm. Do not pour boiling water into the toilet bowl, however, because this could crack the bowl.
- Flush the toilet to deliver the cleaning treatment to your septic tank.
- Try to avoid using your toilet for a few hours to give the yeast time to work without being disturbed.
By using the above treatment the same time every month, you should see an improvement in your septic system's flow. However, if you continue to have problems, you may want to contact a septic tank service, like Mr Bob, so they can find and repair the actual cause of your backed up tank.Share